Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Telling Tough Stories to Children

This video is from a 1983 episode of Sesame Street. Will Lee, an actor on the show from the beginning, passed away, and the writers and cast used the situation to explain death and its permanence to Sesame Street's young viewers.


This clip came to mind when we were discussing the greatness of a children's story that even adults can learn from. I realized one thing we can all relate to, young and old alike, is that people experience hardships. Teaching kids about these hardships is crucial, and sometimes the best way to prepare them for it is to tell a story.

As story tellers, I want to urge all of you to tell tough stories. Stories like this are necessary. They can prepare viewers for the future or help them heal in their current situation. Stories like this aren't easily forgotten simply because everyone has been there at some point in their life. The truth can be hard to swallow, no matter what the audience is. Some topics, like death, can apply to all audiences, and I think that's the beauty of being part of one human race.


1 comment:

  1. sniff...sniff... that is so beautiful. Why can't sesame street be that good anymore?
    sometimes kids shows and movies have the best ways to help you cope with things like death. Up was the last movie that I saw with my Grandfather before he died, and honestly I couldn't have asked for a better movie to see with him. We would go on "adventures" to the movies or to the store to pick something up. Ellie's death at the beginning of the movie always hits me hard, but in the end, it's okay, because although she never got to go to paradise falls, she still had the greatest adventures with Carl.
    "Thanks for the adventure- now go have a new one!"
    I'll always remember my grandfather when I see that movie, and it always puts a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete