Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Fairytales for 'Grownups'

I have a story to tell you. Once upon a time I went to a dentist appointment. Like most normal people I was dreading the visit but it took a turn for the better. My dentist's assistant was a very friendly woman probably in her 30's. We got to talking and connected immediately over kids. I'd been a nanny for three children under the age of 7 for a year, and she was a mother of two young girls. She told me about how she'd read children's books to her daughters most nights, and she lit up talking about that time spent together. We both laughed at how we loved the opportunity we had to watch kids movies and read children's books. It was obvious this woman enjoyed the books just as much if not more than her kids. At one point she quoted the entirety of her favorite children's book from memory, and the love she had for this simple story was contagious.

After the reading for this week I'm sure no one was arguing that children's books are just for children. However, I wanted to share a real life experience of why I'm sure fairytales are still for grownups.

No comments:

Post a Comment