Thursday, October 8, 2015

For Myself

I have been making brickfilms for almost five years now. For those of you who don’t know, brickfilms are stop-motion animated LEGO movies. Brickfilms are now more popular than ever with an affluence of them all over the internet. There are numerous contests and even international film festivals. When people ask me what I like to do in generic day-to-day conversations, I usually tell them about my brickfilm fascination. Then the person I’m talking to generally would ask how they could find my work online, and I give them my YouTube channel name. The next time I meet the person, I ask what they thought of my films. If the person was an adult, over half the time they give an answer such as, “Oh, my kids/nieces/nephews loved them.” The thing is, I didn’t ask what their children thought of my films. I asked what they thought of my films. It’s as if they think I spend hours of my time creating my brickfilms for kids, which is an entirely false assumption. 


I make my brickfilms for myself, not for kids, and not for adults. If I get an idea that I think is clever, funny, creative, etc. I put it in my film. I sometimes spend months in a dark room by myself moving LEGO minifigures centimeters at a time for a film. I find all this time spent completely worthwhile, because I know everything I do in the process will help the finished product. I make my films because of a story or idea I want to see on film, not to keep kids occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment