Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Entry #9: And So What We Haven't Learned Applies to Our Lives Today

                  Hello!
                  Now, I know this section is mainly about child programming, and I’ll have tons to say on that at a later date, but lately I’ve been thinking about adult cartoons and why they are how they are.
                  Many people would say, myself included, that children’s cartoons are dealing with subjects more real to life lately. Steven Universe, in addition to being about a kid who’s half human half space rock who saves the Earth, also deals with the loss of loved ones, how manipulation is hurtful, and that families come in all shapes and sizes. When I grew up, cartoons for my age seemed to be more on par with Netflix’s “The Day my Butt Went Psycho!” (Yes, that is an actual, real show on Netflix. Look it up, you’ll be pleasantly disappointed).
                  Anyhow, my point is children’s cartoons have been taking a huge step forward as of late. But, have adult cartoons taken a step back?
                  In the previous reading, C.S. Lewis said that the common way to write entertainment for adults is to throw sex into the mix. Sex has become less and less taboo over the years, but it still is used as a common theme to draw in adults. Now, I’m not gonna sit here and tell you sex in media is bad. It’s not. Sex is a part of life, if not the instigator of life. But, I think adult cartoons can abuse the idea of sex.
                  The humor of adult cartoons is almost primarily based on sex. Anyone ever watch the Simpsons? Anyone know Mr. Burns’ assistant Smithers? He’s gay. That’s the joke. Smithers is gay, particularly for his boss. His sexuality and person of preference is what’s supposed to make him funny. Also, Bart’s teacher, Ms. Krabappel, is funny because she’s promiscuous. The list goes on. I don’t think the Simpsons is a bad show, I actually like it. I’m not saying I don’t like adult cartoons either. Two of my favorite cartoons ever are Futurama and Rick and Morty (if you hang around me long enough you’ll hear way more about those shows than you want and I’m sorry in advance).
                  But, why do adult cartoons rely on, for lack of a better word, adult themes? Why don’t they usually have lessons at the end or teach us anything? Because adults are done learning, or at least we think we are. We’re adults, we don’t need to learn lessons anymore. We don’t have to use our brains to enjoy things because that’s what Bill Nye the Science Guy and the Magic School Bus were for when we were little. I think that can be adult’s biggest folly: thinking we know everything already. We’re the big kids now, we went to school and learned that the Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, so we’re done with all that kid stuff. Adult cartoon creators know that, and they play their viewers like a harp. Don’t want to learn? Then don’t. Sit back and enjoy some silly “adult” jokes.
                  It is definitely okay to enjoy shows and humor for the sake of enjoying them. Everybody’s got guilty pleasures, even me. But, that shouldn’t be all we enjoy. I think, to fully experience entertainment, we have to open ourselves up to all kinds of media. I may love Rick and Morty to bits, black humor and all, but I also love to watch shows made for young children. Anyone ever watch Rolie Polie Olie as a kid? That show was like an obsession for me an I still own and watch the movies from it because it’s just that enjoyable.

                  Enjoying “adult” jokes is all well and good, I guess you just shouldn’t make it your bread and butter of entertainment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment