Monday, October 12, 2015

Children's Television and Censorship

I think both sides of the spectrum concerning censorship of children's television raise some valid points. There is one side I tend to agree more with, however I see the value in the intentions of both. 

I think, for the most part, kids can handle a lot more than we give them credit for. In the same way that "baby talk" does not serve as a good introduction to speaking and language, "baby television" that tiptoes around certain issues that children are bound to hear about- and perhaps even face one day in life- does not serve as a good introduction in life, problem solving and free thinking. Instead of spoon-feeding children information that we wish them to learn, plant in them a desire for what is being fed. Prompt them to ask questions and search for answers. I think most parents will find that this freedom is just as important as guidance. This is not to say that anything at any level is open and ready for children's eyes. There are some subjects that children do not need to be exposed to, yet I would like to raise an interesting point: remember watching Disney movies as a kid? Is your interpretation of the films different now than how you viewed it as a child? I realized the older I grew that I had absolutely no idea what was going on half of the time. Case and point, there are prostitutes in the movie Aladdin. Was I scarred forever? No, I did not even realize it at the time. The scene was tasteful and did not give more than an implication. It comes down to how strong and how tasteful difficult content is introduced to children.

I feel as though those on the opposing side view those for censorship as Mrs. Kangaroo from Horton Hears a Who. The big, bad mother-figure who wants to isolate and close the ears of all the children. This is not always a bad thing, however. There are some degrees that children are not ready for. I had not even considered the subject Professor Leeper brought up about children's advertisements. It is particularly disturbing that children's commercials run so much longer than adult commercial breaks. I remember watching ads on television and seeing all of the dolls, candy and cereal that my mother would never buy me because of the expense or the sugar-content. It was almost as entertaining for me as the show itself. This could be rather dangerous sometimes because it gave me a sudden blast of consumer culture that I did not need. I do feel that this area especially needs more censorship and regulations. 

2 comments:

  1. It's an interesting point you have there, about being exposed to consumer culture when you didn't need it. What sort of censorship/regulation do you mean? Like how much time can be spent on commercials, or what they can advertise, or the portrayal of consumerism in shows themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe all of the above? That's a good question! I think we see a lot of "buy me more, and buy it now" themes in advertisements these days, and it's starting younger and younger. The time is definitely an issue, because kids don't need to see all of the junk that people want to sell them! Maybe more commercials that encourage artistic or recreational activities, not video games and dolls. I remember begging my parents for this stupid mermaid doll that would sing every time it was brought up out of the water. I got it, and it annoyed the crap out of me. I probably would have asked for my favorite kids book, or something more worth while had I not seen the commercial.

    ReplyDelete