Monday, October 12, 2015

Are You Offended Yet? (Part II)


How offensive can a kids show be? 
Let's revisit the profane once more to see how it applies to children's media? 
Since I'm an animation major, I'll mostly be looking at cartoons.

 Let's take a look at the statement, that there is no wrong subject for children's media, it's just how you present it. Is this really true? What about sex? Isn't this a taboo for children's media? Well, while the subject of sex itself is pretty much out of the question (unless you guys can think of an example), I know for a fact that kid's shows are full of innuendos. If you don't believe me, watch Animaniacs or Ren and Stimpy (the kids show, not the adult version.....for pete's sake don't google that).  [shutters]
This article discusses parallels between sexual relationships and the relationships in the children's show, Steven Universe. Although I don't agree with all the symbolism that they point out or some of their conclusions, I think it's interesting the things that they do pull out of the show. 
(WARNING: does contain spoilers from the show)
But why have these things in at all? I think mostly it there not for the kids at all, but for the older audience in order to keep them entertained along with the kids. Personally, I think it's funny all the adult humor in shows and movies that I used to watch, and never noticed, but I think that it could be put to better use, though I'm still trying to figure out a way that would work.

Alright, let's move on to another subject, DEATH. Let's start with the most taboo, and progress from there. Suicide. It was actually pretty hard for me to find examples for this in kids shows, but with a bit of digging, I was able to find some examples. None of them actually deal with how to handle suicide in a positive way, which is probably why you don't see it on shows today. Most clips I found were from older cartoons, especially Looney Tunes. It's actually used more for a joke effect instead of a serious issue.



Probably the most serious cartoon that I found that has suicide in it is this Tom and Jerry episode, Blue Cat Blues. In it, both Tom and Jerry commit suicide....Yeah, you heard that right.


Other forms of death are in cartoons all the time. MURDER! From Mufasa to Nemo's mom to Quasimodo's parents to Mother Gothel (by pascal) to Ursala to Maleficent we've seen it all thanks to Disney! (not so innocent now are ya?) Accidental deaths are thrown about as well. Gaston, Clayton (Tarzan), and many more all died unintentionally by their own doing. Natural death is also plays a large part in these films. Many of the Disney Princesses have one or both parents dead. (talk about tramatic)
But why have this in children's media? I think it's important that death be a part of children's stories. It's one tragic part of life that kids will understand easier than sex or drugs. There's plenty of material in movies and books that can even help deal with death. 

Up is very special to me, because Carl deals with Ellie's death. I was close to my Grandfather, and Up was the last movie we saw together. I couldn't have asked for anything better either, an old man and a kid going on an adventure. And as much as I saw myself in Russell's shoes in having a relationship with a grandfather-like figure, I also put myself in Carl's shoes in dealing with the death of a loved one. 


A book that I would recommend to you is A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. It's about a boy who's mother has cancer and is visited by a large tree monster, who helps him by telling him three stories. It's a very touching story, and meant a lot to me.

I could go on about various subjects found in children's media, but I think that I will mostly come to the same conclusion that I have about death. Real world problems definitely have their place in the stories we tell to kids. Of course, we can't be blowing up heads and cussing like a sailor, but in moderation, these subjects can definitely be presented to children.

If people are interested, I would be happy to continue this subject in depth in another post, but for now, I think I'll end with some honorable mentions.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Jonathan shared this cartoon with me. It's an episode from Static Shock, a superhero show. This episode called "Jimmy" deals with a school shooting.


The Legend of Korra deals with some pretty mature stuff, especially in book 4. In it, Korra has to overcome physical disabilities, PTSD, and depression, but in the end she, with the help of her friends and family, is able to come out of it a better person.



That's all for now! Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment