Monday, October 12, 2015

Are Video Games Art?

     Video games have been a huge part of life since I was about 6 years old. It really excited me to hear Leeper say that we would be discussing them in a Digital Media Arts class, because that is what I've always thought that they were a form of art. I've always enjoyed shows, cartoons, and movies, but I always get the most excited when a video game I've wanted is announced or released. Now my question is whether you consider video games a form of art?

     While I've never heard anybody say to my face that they do not believe video games are art, or that they will never be art, I think it's common for most people to never compare something like Super Mario to the Mona Lisa...
                  
                            

     I obviously recognize that video games are not only a very different form of art, but it is a relatively new form of art as well. While games have been around for years, within the last decade they have become drastically more mainstream. Perhaps why people don't consider them art is because at the end of the day, it is just a game. I don't think though that because it is a game that it cannot move us emotionally, or that it cannot relate to events and situations in the real world.

     I always think about one simple fact about I can't believe that video games are not a form of art. It is the fact that video games are comprised of many widely accepted art forms. Tons of concept art is created by artists to develop the look and atmosphere of the universe the game takes place in. Music is composed and orchestrated for the game, so even when nothing is being said, the suspense or intensity of that moment is represented to you.

      Leeper said in class that good art engages in a conversation with us. I feel more immersed world the developers created in a good video game series, such as Halo which is my favorite, than I ever have from watching a movie or pondering on a painting. Am I thinking about this all wrong, or do some of you agree with me? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this!

1 comment:

  1. Video Games are most definitely ART! Games like The Last of Us, To The Moon, Alien Isolation, and others all tell stories! They are engaging and some make you think really hard about what happened in the story and the choices you made. The Stanley Parable is a fantastically fun game that has numerous different endings that can be achieved. (many hilarious) I even did a blog post about a recent video game that inspired me.
    http://intro2dma2015.blogspot.com/2015/10/i-need-to-share-this-with-you.html

    ReplyDelete