Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Just Talking to Myself

   Long after literature for adults has gone to pieces, 
books for children will constitute the last vestige of storytelling, logic, faith in the family, 
in God, and in real humanism    -  I. B. Singer

   Is this true?

   See, I'm struggling here.

This was my favorite part
   Most of the kids' books I walk by in the library I don't bother to pick up. When I do, I remember why I stopped. There is rarely something I read and think, "Wow. Someone cared enough to write this book." No. Most of them look like stuff I could write in ten minutes, or something a single only child wrote after attending a seminar. Childish drawings, short (and often repeated) words, "popular issues" and crude humor litter the pages. Books have turned into awareness campaigns for animal cruelty and bullying and racism.

   Are these books for children, or are they so someone can feel they earned a few yard-high members for their cause? Are they so preschoolers can stop global warming with your book as their campaign poster?

   I have decided I agree with Singer. The catch is this; the books have to be written for children. Not for children to, or for children with, or for children so that, but for children. Written in the manner discussed in class, where it is a person speaking directly to a child.
An example of solid illustrating

   One apparent flaw in this method might be, "Well, if it's for this one kid, how are other kids supposed to relate? You need a conflict that is understood by all kids." Yeah. Sure. Because all kids can relate to a hobbit or a mouse or a kingdom. Maybe not, but they know what it's like to have strange people barge into your home and how it feels to be lost. They know how hard it is to be small and the youngest. They know what authority is and how it can be used. Believe it or not, they even appreciate good artwork. Kids know the tone of familiarity that lies in a story told direct from the source.
Do you recognize this one?

   Or, look at it this way. When you have a great experience at camp or on a mission trip, you don't hide it. You tell the story, even though others don't have the same background. If you are any good at telling stories and/or have good friends, they will listen.

   The only reason you tell someone a story is because you care. As long as people love children, really care and not just have general awareness and concern about their survival, we have hope for humanity. Once that love is lost or otherwise outlawed, we are done. Humanity is done. The end. Kaput.

   I'm glad I had this talk with myself.

2 comments:

  1. I like your point about books becoming awareness campaigns. It's sad, because even if there is great truth in the message and the author is being sincere, it takes away from children's ability to think and come to conclusions on their own. Children can't form opinions on topics when the material they read is shaped around someone's agenda (which, I believe must be considered different from a moral).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And I agree, agendas and morals are different things. Which one we are letting make the decisions is something to watch.

      Delete