Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Is It Really Temptation? (Extra Credit)

        First of all, I would just like to let you know that I really enjoyed reading about your films.  I would really like to watch them someday.

        I was especially interested in The Temptation of Brother Thomas.  I feel like I can relate to him.  I too find myself distracted by the world around me, and that sometimes also leads me away from what I first set out to do (such as homework and writing this blog, for example.).  Just about everyday, I find myself in the woods just off campus, just wandering and wondering at the amazing things that I find.  But it also makes me wonder, could this possibly be a temptation?

        This brings me to my point.  I really don't believe temptation is the right word for all of that wonder.  You said yourself that the story represents "an artist's journey towards self-discovery".  In this case, it really isn't a temptation at all, but in a religious perspective, more of a calling to the discovery of purpose.  Whenever I am in the woods, I feel as though I may have entered the world of Narnia, or some other mystical land of beauty.  But like how the Pevensie children were called to Narnia to take their places as kings and queens, perhaps God is using the world around me to show me my purpose.  I have not found it yet, but I always feel at peace in the woods.

        I do not mean to criticise your work in any way.  I just want to let you know that has made me think a lot about myself and my relationship with the world.  If you think I am wrong and disagree with me, I am open to hear what you have to say.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Anna!

    Thank you for your comments about Br. Thomas. I love hearing hjw this story connects with people espeailly because its going to be a while bwfore its completed.

    You're not the first one to comment on the title seeming off. Thats inentional for two reasons. 1 is that it's a nodd to art/church history. Look into the temptation of St Anthony somwtime. 2 is irony (I love irony). Basically the film acknowledgea the little bit of guilt we all feel enjoying nature (or anything else) when we "ought" to be in chapel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Professor Leeper. That has made me look at it from a different perspective and now I feel as though I understand it a little bit better now.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Professor Leeper. That has made me look at it from a different perspective and now I feel as though I understand it a little bit better now.

      Delete