Monday, October 5, 2015

Childrens Books and Movies

This past reading assignment made me think about all the children's books and movies that I watched when I was little. I use to love reading Dr. Seuss and watching all kinds of different Disney movies. I enjoyed them when I was little of course, they were all brilliant, but honestly I think I enjoy them more now in the present, than I did then. When we are little we don't quite get the meaning behind many different types of stories, we only see the surface, however now that we are hopefully more mature and intelligent, we can unpack all of the stories and realize some of the deeper meaning behind them. One of the best examples of this is from Dr. Seuss, Oh the Places You'll Go. I am sure just about all of us have heard this multiple times in the past, I heard it when leaving elementary school, middle school, and high school. It might be overused but its so well written and applicable to life, but the kicker is, its a children's book. Children love it, however, I think adults can get more out of it than children.



You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.



This is perfectly applicable to all of us right now. We are in a new stage of life, college that is. We have the freedom to choose what we want to be and what we want to do, we have the brains to do it and the resources to do it. We are completely on our own now, and ultimately we are control of our own future. Dr. Seuss writes this so well, its mind blowing. We all can learn from what he wrote, its not just for kids. Children's media is for everyone, we can learn a lot from them. Honestly, adults are probably the ones that need to learn from it the most.

1 comment:

  1. I've had that experience with A Bug's Life. Partly because it used to be my sisters favorite movie, I've watched it a lot over the course of my entire childhood, and I've seen my self understanding new things about it as I grow older. There's a lot in there that adults can appreciate better than kids.

    ReplyDelete