Friday, October 9, 2015

Be a kid!

Hey guys it's Clint. So the quote from C.S. Lewis really got my attention the other day. It went a little something like, "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." This is such a powerful statement, especially when one comes across this concept in the bible. In 1 Corinthians chapter 13, Paul writes, "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." When I first read this passage I immediately thought Paul was sort of talking down towards childlike behavior (immature, never taking things seriously, horsing around, etc), and was simply trying to tell the people that there was a place for that in his life, but it's over now. But what if we've been misunderstanding Paul's meaning this entire time? It's an easy passage to skim over because we think we immediately know what he's talking about, but what if we looked at it a bit closer and actually thought about it in light of Lewis' words and the rest of the bible? Lewis is onto something here..It's a weird concept at first because it sounds backwards, but what if Paul meant that his childlike behavior was being too scared to act like the kid and child of God that he was? And that to finally become a man is to push away the pressure from society to act all "grown up" and have confidence in a true child-like faith? I mean that's exactly the kind of people Jesus said will enter into heaven! Cool huh. Just another little thing to look into and keep chewing on! 
-Clint Sprunger, 10/9/15

No comments:

Post a Comment