Monday, September 28, 2015

New Vs. Original?

There are a lot of movies being made nowadays that are either a remake of an older film, or a cinematic adaption of an already established universe. It seems that no matter what the creators of these new films do, they always get a lot of hate for showing the world their take on this idea that wasn't originally theirs. 
I personally will watch just about any film and enjoy it, because most of the time I shut my brain off a bit when I walk into a movie theater. For example, a movie that got a lot of flak last year was the live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. I am a huge Ninja turtles fan, and have been for very long time, and this film is one of my favorites of all time. I enjoy films like this(and other poorly received films like Transformers) because I love seeing characters or worlds that I've enjoyed since childhood that aren't real, be real! Films like this were actually what influenced me to go into animation.


But when I hear a lot about how others didn't like the film for reasons such as it didn't match the old cartoon, or their appearance wasn't like the comics, I even heard some say they didn't like it because it was purely different from any other renditions of the Turtles. Hearing these things come from others who I know love TMNT as well really shocked me, because the biggest reason I enjoyed the film is because it was almost all completely new! It seems to me that a lot of people want art to stay the same. Wants art to tell the same story, have the same characters, say and do the same things. But I love seeing other people's interpretation on things I know and love. I wouldn't have enjoyed this movie if it was the same thing as every other TMNT piece of media.

Am I the only one who feels this way? To be able to enjoy someone else's view on something I like, without criticizing it on what I would've done differently?

2 comments:

  1. "It seems that no matter what the creators of these new films do, they always get a lot of hate for showing the world their take on this idea that wasn't originally theirs," unless it's Disney, then people forget the original. But then, I guess people are just used to fairy tales being tweaked and updated all the time.
    I'm no purist myself. I actually think film adaptations SHOULD be a little different from the original. I don't need someone to produce exactly what I pictured in my head from reading the book. I guess I want to know that the filmmakers respect the original work, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to follow it to the letter.
    In the particular case of TMNT, it's already been done and redone many times, so I don't have any problem with someone putting a new spin on a reboot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm prouda you Noah. Crankin' out that 3rd post

    ReplyDelete