Monday, September 28, 2015

Fairy Tales were my Teachers

As I read G.K. Chesterton's article title, "What I Learned in the Nursery", I realized how much truth his words held in my heart. After all, movies are perhaps my greatest passion as I spend my free time (whenever that is) watching movies of all genres for hours on end. And each movie that I saw as a child was a fairy tale.

Throughout my life, everyone who was older than I was told me that movies rot your brain and don't teach you anything! Well, I can certainly say that they were wrong! In fact, I learned a lot of the Spanish language by watching movies like "The Legend of Zorro"! I impressed my beginning Spanish teacher when she asked what the word 'jabon' meant and I answered 'soap'! Thanks Antonio Banderas!



Fairy tales have also taught me how to react or respond in certain situations. For example: if there's someone who locks me away in a tower and forces me to clean the house... all I have to do is wait for Prince Charming to come and rescue me!

...

OK. That's a bit of a stretch. But as I saw more and more fairy tales coming to life on screen, they helped me not only in real life, but in my imagination as well. They've even shown me my all time favorite thing to happen in movies: when the hero sacrifices his/her life to save his/her friends or loved ones! I didn't realize until a few years ago that my faith in Jesus had something to do with that. And ever since then, moments like where Flynn Rider sacrifices his life to save Rapunzel, or when Emmett Brown draws the terrorist's gunfire away from Marty McFly are my favorite things to happen in films!


No comments:

Post a Comment