Sunday, September 27, 2015

Blessing vs. Converting

Ok I think I’m starting to understand now. Prof. Leeper refers storytelling to a conversation and if storytelling is done right I guess it can be a conversation. If you tell a story right (like a good conversation) it will allow the view to think and allowing them to think is how they can make connections to your story. But if you don’t do this and you are telling the view what to think in the story it becomes more of a lesson. And I see this reflected in a study, it was done on blessing and converting, (it’s pretty straight forward) one missionary group went out and blessed people while the other group tried to convert people. In the end, they found the blessing group had 50 times more conversions than the actual converting group. Showing us just how important LISTENING is in a story and you show be on your viewers levee, like a peer and not try to be their teacher.

I really liked the clips we watched in class because (I could relate to the artist because he did want to do just one thing, I liked the charcoal drawing because they were beautiful but also represented coming to terms with the past and moving forward)

I also kind of liked the puppet clip we watched at the end, although it was kind of creepy, it was cool seeing the puppeteers behind them because (fun fact about me: I have worked with strange puppets in theater and) I know if the puppeteer is see you have to act as if the puppet is an extension of you and it was really cool to watch that.

For more info on the Blessing and Converting study here are the websites I used:


No comments:

Post a Comment