Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Art is Powerful

Art is so powerful it can leave you disoriented for days and make you question everything you know but you can still enjoy it (just like my friends after we watched the movie Lucy). I love art and think everyone needs it. Though personally, I believe art is more important than the “biography” part of it all because looking at it to learn about the creator, you learn more from actions than word. Hearing Pope John Paul II’s “Letter to Artists” was really cool because I know I have heard of it but I don’t remember if I’ve actually read it before, but anyways I liked it,why exactly, I don't know I guess it was comforting. :)

I thought it was ironic how in the beginning of class we talked about how Christians are Narcissus because we look at our own work and we don’t look at anything “secular.” But, we spent the end of class looking at nothing but images depicting Christian themes. Which in my opinion were all very basic because their wasn’t a lot of meaning behind them, they just depicted other stories and images I have seen before. I would have much rather been shown a simple landscape or a cubism piece and then been asked “How do you see God in this?” Or even comparing pieces from the same artist, for example, Francisco de Goya and been asked how (even as someone who wasn’t Christian) he could paint something with major Christian intent such as Christ Crucified and then create something as disgusting and Godless as Saturn Devouring His Son (which is my least favorite painting ever! and I hate it so much I'm not even going to put in on this post).


No comments:

Post a Comment